Throughout high school & almost all of college, I worked at a bagel store during the school year. Coming from a typically old-school Italian family, the bagel store experience exposed me to things I'd only seen from afar & dreamed of trying. Chicken salad was one of those in particular. (American) tuna salad was another. Our shop's versions were just so darn good! And then I learned how to make it....with ingredients like ground up stale croissants (used to give it "body") & an ENTIRE industrial-sized jug of Hellmann's mayo! No wonder they were addictively good. Anything with that much butter & fat cannot be anything less that awesome.
Slimming Chicken Salad
yields 4 servings; 193 Calories/ serving; 2.2g fat/ serving
- 12-oz shredded chicken (I used left over roasted chicken)
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1 large scallion, sliced thin
- 1/4 C chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 C nonfat, Greek yogurt, plain
- 1Tbs lemon juice
- 1tsp mustard (I used stone ground brown deli mustard)
- 1tsp chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 tsp celery salt (I recommend using pure ground celery seed & salt separately, but this is what I had on hand)
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Combine shredded (or chopped) chicken, celery, scallion, and parsley in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl combine yogurt, lemon juice, mustard, celery salt, garlic powder, dill & black pepper. Spoon dressing mixture into chicken mixture 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.
*to make tuna salad, replace shredded chicken with 2 7oz cans of your favorite tuna.